Independent Study Time
At least 16 hours of guided study time per week.
Entry Requirements and Student Suitability
Four GCSEs at Grade C or above in appropriate subjects, preferably including English Language and Mathematics.
The Diploma provides students with the knowledge, understanding and skills to enter a career as a business decision-maker or progress to higher education. You will be studying towards a programme equivalent to three A Levels.
The course aims to give students a broad understanding of business with the opportunity to apply learning in a contemporary, practical and realistic way. All students will also participate in a two-week placement during year one of the programme, which links directly to one of their studied units.
The course structure comprises 4 core and 14 options units (18 in total to be completed).
Core Units include
- The Business Environment – the aim of this unit is to give learners the fundamental knowledge of a range of business organisations, and the many factors that shape the nature of organisations operating in an increasingly complex business world.
- Business Resources will develop student knowledge of the range of human, physical, technological and financial resources required in an organisation, and how the management of these resources can impact on business performance.
- Introduction to Marketing – give learners an understanding of how marketing, research and planning and the marketing mix are used by all organisations.
- Business Communication aims to show students that the collection and management of business information, and the successful communication of that information throughout a business, is critical for the future prosperity of the organisation.
Option units are varied and can include:
- Financial accounting
- Market research
- Creative product promotion
- Recruitment and selection
- Human resource management
- Managing a business event
Methods of Study
- Factory visits
- Specialist speakers
- Formal lectures
- Class activities
- Problem solving exercises
Assessment and Coursework
- Practical projects
- Case studies
- Relevant work experience
- There are no external examinations, the course is assessed solely by coursework.
Progression and the Future
University (Higher Education) – Degree courses in Business, Management, Marketing, Finance etc. Employment – various local / national private and public sector organisations – usually aspiring to management level.
How to Apply
Application forms are available from schools or from the College. For further information please contact Hayley Tucker on 01872 267006.