Civil engineers undertake research and design, direct construction and manage the operation and maintenance of civil and mining engineering structures.view courses
About this Career
New workers start around £27,261.19. Normal pay is £42,616 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £64,060.79.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons in Cornwall, and do<br /> not distinguish between full and part-time jobs.
- Organises and establishes control systems to monitor operational efficiency and performance of materials and systems.
- Organises and plans projects, arranges work schedules, carries out inspection work and plans maintenance control.
- Designs structures such as roads, dams, bridges, railways, hydraulic systems, sewerage systems, industrial and other buildings and plans the layout of tunnels, wells and construction shafts.
- Designs foundations and earthworks.
- Determines and specifies construction methods, materials, quality and safety standards and ensures that equipment operation and maintenance comply with design specifications.
- Undertakes research and advises on soil mechanics, concrete technology, hydraulics, water and waste water treatment processes and other civil engineering matters.