Smiths and Forge Workers
Smiths and forge workers operate or direct the operation of power hammers and presses to shape heated metal to requirements and to make and repair a variety of metal articles by heating, hammering and bending.view courses
About this Career
New workers start around £8,029.54. Normal pay is £12,856 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £19,398.09.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons in Cornwall, and do<br /> not distinguish between full and part-time jobs.
- Fits and secures horses shoes.
- Tempers and hardens forged pieces, as required, by quenching in oil or water.
- Bends or shapes metal by hand forging methods using hammers, punches, drifts and other hand tools.
- Uses special forging tools to shape and cut metal as required.
- Operates or directs operation of press or hammer and repositions workpiece between strokes.
- Positions or directs the positioning of heated metal on anvil or other work surface.
- Heats or supervises the heating in furnace of metal to be forged.
- Reads and interprets order or blueprint to determine operational requirements.