What can I expect?
Most players tend to play for local clubs, many of them in regional leagues, although the 3rd team often play more for the social side of the game and are not always connected to local clubs. However we are proud that many players have progressed from 3rd team status to 1st team over the two-year programme. Truro and Penwith College Netball Academy provides fixtures where possible for our squads with local sides, schools competitions and in the Association of Colleges Leagues and tournaments. The Truro College 1st teams compete in the superleague, Truro 2nds and Penwith 1st teams compete in the AoC SW1 League and Truro 3rds and Penwith 2nds play in the local social league.
Coaching and training
Players have the opportunity for netball related activities such as work on skills, tactics and fitness, match play and match analysis. All students have the opportunity to develop their own personal performance. There is a real club feeling to the Academy with a friendly atmosphere where everyone, regardless of experience or ability, is valued. Students are also encouraged to be involved in coaching and umpiring opportunities.
During the summer term, many Netball Academy players help to run a Little League for the local primary schools. The players gain experience in coaching and leadership. Some students also gain experience working in a local secondary school assisting with coaching their school teams.
Training for the Academy starts during the summer holidays. Players attend one day a week giving them an opportunity to develop their skills, fitness and match play and also helping them to make new friends before the College year starts in September.
Playing netball gives me time away from the classroom so I can revive myself and be fresh for more studies. I play second team netball and am aiming to play for the first team in my second year. The coaches are really supportive and have allowed me to develop as a player so I can perform at a higher level.
- 2011/12 – BCS Superleague South Winners and BCS Superleague National Final Runners Up.
- 2011-2014 Cornwall County Netball U19 Champions.
- 2011-2014 British Colleges South West Champions.
- 2012/13 – U19 South West Schools Champions.
- 2015 – Bronze Medal winners at AoC National Finals.
- 2016 – Cornwall County Netball U19 Champions.
- 2016 – Super League Playoff Winners.
- Abi Caple – England U17 National, Excel Squad 2011/2 and Team Bath U19 NTL Squad.
- Jenna Bailey – Team Bath U19 NTL Squad.
- Louise Kitto and Carla Aldington – British Colleges Netball Squad, 2014/5.
- Louise Kitto and Hope Lushington – AoC National Squad Netball, 2015/6.