Train and Tram Drivers
Job holders in this unit group drive diesel, diesel-electric, electric and steam locomotives that transport passengers and goods on surface and underground railways, and transport passengers in trams.view courses
About this Career
New workers start around £31,497.54. Normal pay is £59,909 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £98,048.89.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons in Cornwall, and do<br /> not distinguish between full and part-time jobs.
- May check travel passes, collect fares and deal with passenger queries.
- May make passenger announcements and controls automatic doors.
- Maintains radio contact with control centre.
- Makes scheduled stops for the loading and unloading of freight and coupling/uncoupling of carriages and tubs.
- Stops as directed to allow passengers to embark/ disembark.
- Watches for track hazards, observes signals and temperature, pressure and other gauges.
- Starts train or tram when directed and operates controls to regulate speed.
- Checks safety equipment, regulates the heating of passenger compartments and records engine defects or unusual incidents on the journey.
- Checks controls, gauges, brakes and lights before start of journey and studies route, timetable and track information.