Start of year guide

We have created a start of year checklist so new and returning students, parents and carers can find all the information needed to make the start of term as seamless as possible. You can find this checklist and other important information in the Start of Year Guide.

Home » Study with us » University Centre » Student Finance

Student finance

If you’re studying a University Centre course with us, you may be eligible for a number of funding options to help with your tuition and living costs. Students will be assessed by either Student Finance England, Student Finance Wales, Student Finance NI or Student Awards Agency of Scotland (SAAS) to determine eligibility for means testing and how much financial support would be available. Finance assessments depend on the income of both the student and their legal guardian or spouse’s/partner’s income.

Tuition Fees

Tuition fees are reviewed each year and any increases will be in line with the UK Government policy. Please note that fees for courses at the University of Plymouth may differ from University Centre fees so be sure to check before applying. Costs vary depending on the course you are on. Additional costs may need to be considered depending on your course, such as: travel to placements, the cost of materials you might choose to use, if you choose to purchase your own personal equipment or the cost of any optional study trips.

Foundation Degree (excluding FdSc Nursing Associate) or HND / HNC

  • Full-time Students - £8,224 p/a
  • Part-time Students - £4,112 p/a

FdSc Nursing Associate

  • Full-time Students - £9250 p/a

Full Bachelor's Degrees, Top-up Year or PGCE/Cert Ed

  • Full-time Students - £9,250 p/a
  • Part-time Students - £4,625 p/a
Two smiling adult University students sit in comfortable seating with a drink each.


Eligible students who are actively registered on the 1st December will receive one of three bursaries from the University Centre.

  1. Household Income upto £25,000 - £720p/a
  2. Household Income above £25,000 - £320p/a
  3. All part-time students - £225p/a

Additional costs may need to be considered depending on the course, but typically students will need to cover the cost of materials or equipment and study trips.

Travel Bursary

The U.K. Government has identified that there are some areas within the county in which fewer than expected people go to university. Those areas in Cornwall are Camborne, Pool, Redruth, St Austell and the Claybelt country.

After extensive feedback from our current students and evidence from other HE providers about targeted bursaries, the University Centre Truro and Penwith are going to offer a £300 travel bursary to all eligible students who live in these specific areas.

Eligible full-time and part-time undergraduate students will not have to pay fees before they start their course or while they are studying, as they can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan to cover these costs. Fees will be paid directly to the University or College by the Student Loans Company. Students of any age can apply and loans will only need to be repaid once a student has left their University programme and is earning over £25,000. 

Help with living costs may be available for the duration of a student’s University programme in the form of a Maintenance Loan that attracts a low rate of interest. First and second year students can apply for up to £8,400 when living at home or £9,978 for students living away from home and outside of London. Maintenance Loan money is paid directly into the student’s bank or building society at the start of each term, in three instalments.

Tuition Fee and Maintenance Loans will be repayable after the student has finished the programme and is earning more than £25,000 per year. If earnings fall below the £25,000 threshold the repayments will stop until their earnings rise above the threshold again. Deductions are usually made through the PAYE tax system by the employer in the same way as Income Tax and National Insurance contributions. The amount paid back is determined by how much is earned, not by how much is owed, and is 9% of earnings above £25,000 a year.

Funding through the Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) is available for eligible students with an illness, disability, medical condition or learning difficulty (including dyslexia) to help cover additional costs incurred as a direct result of their disability. Students of all ages can apply for DSA on the government website and the money does not need to be paid back.

Help applying for student finance is available from the University Centre’s Student Support Adviser.

01872 305747

Our higher education Student support advisor can help with funding

Our colleges

Truro College
College Road

  • Reset
  • Result Type