This course is for anyone who wishes to become a Carbon Literate citizen. This is someone who understands how climate change will affect them and the people around them, both geographically and sectorally. A Carbon Literate citizen will have acquired the knowledge and skills to develop their responses to lowering their carbon footprint and the carbon footprint of others, whilst having the confidence to share their Carbon Literacy.
Benefits of Attending
Carbon Literacy is a desirable asset for any employer. A Carbon Literate citizen will display compassion for the environment, their health and the health of those around them. This makes them directly more employable.
Certification is awarded following the successful completion of an approved Carbon Literacy course whereby each learner is awarded a uniquely-coded Carbon Literacy certificate to reference that achievement.
Pre-session 1 Self-Study - Introduction to Carbon Literacy
• The basic science of climate change
• Introduction to carbon footprints
• Introduction to climate equity and fairness
• Introduction to a zero-carbon world
Session 1 – taught session, starting with introductions.
• The Urgency of Taking Action
• International Carbon Footprints and Climate Equity
• UK Consumption
• The Carbon Footprint of Food
• The Carbon Footprint of Travel
• Energy behaviours in the home
• Local and Institutional priorities introduction
Pre-session 2 Self-Study - Low carbon action audits
• Carbon Footprint Calculator
• Further optional reading on Food and Travel
• Research on our Institutional Carbon Footprint
Session 2– taught session, starting with sharing key takeaways from self-study or session 1
• The role of the University or College in delivering Zero Carbon
• Imagining a zero-carbon world
• Spheres of Influence
• Communicating Climate change
• Taking Action and Making Commitments
Those achieving Climate Literacy Certification will be equipped to challenge and encourage those within their sphere of influence to consider their own impact on climate related issues. In addition, learners might wish to seek out further education in this field. Guidance can be provided in this field through the college.
Want to talk to someone?
Do you have a question that we haven't answered so far? Talk to our admissions team. We're here Monday-Friday 8.30am-4.30pm.