Part-time courses

If you’d like to study a part-time course with us, but worry about the costs associated with it, we may be able to help.


The tuition fee for some courses is waived (unless otherwise stated) if you fall into any of the categories below:

  • Unemployed JSA/ESA (Work Activity Group)
  •  Unemployed in receipt of Universal Credit and the course will help you find work
  • Adult Basic Skills (English/Maths)
  • 19 - 23 without full Level 2/3
  • Over 16 and under 19 years old on 31 August 2021

Have you heard about the Advanced Learner Loan?

If you are aged 19 or over  and want to study A Levels, an Access to Higher Education Diploma, or a Level 3 to 6 Vocational Qualification, you will need to pay your college or training organisation for the cost of your course.

The Advanced Learner Loan is a government-funded loan to help learners. It's easy to apply for, doesn't take your household income into account and doesn't involve a credit check.

Here are some key facts about the loan:
  • Repayments are linked to what you earn and not how much you borrowed
  • You only have to start making repayments when you've finished your course and you're earning over £27,295 a year. Until then you don't need to pay back anything, but you can make voluntary repayments at any time.
  • You pay 9% of the money you earn over £27,295, before tax. 
  • Interest is charged on a sliding scale between the Retail Price Index (RPI) and RPI + 3%, depending on how much you earn.

For further information, visit The National Career Service Website

Advanced Learner Loans are administered by Student Finance England (SFE). Student Finance England is a Student Loans Company service, providing financial support to students on behalf of the UK Government.

Advanced Learner Loan Information Downloads

For further information about 19+ fees, please contact: Michelle Boulton at email MICHELLEB@TRURO-PENWITH.AC.UK.

Exam/registration fees

For the majority of qualification courses, any fees payable to the Awarding Body for registration, examination entry and certification will be collected, together with the course fee payable, before the start of the course. Where this is not the case, the additional payment due will be stated. If you are enrolled on a qualification course, you will automatically be registered with the awarding body and entered for any examinations provided the fee has been paid. 

If you need to re-take any examinations, you will need to enter for these separately and make a re-entry payment to the examinations office. You will then receive written advance notification of the arrangements for formal examinations and written confirmation of your results. Certificates will be posted to the address given on your enrolment form, so please do contact the part-time courses team about any change in your contact details.

Any questions about registration, examinations or certification should be directed to the Exams Office on 01872 308179  for Truro-based students or 01736 809019 for Penwith-based students. The email contact for both sites is EXAMSOFFICE@TRURO-PENWITH.AC.UK. If you are a candidate attending at either site and require examination concessions for medical reasons or because of learning difficulties, please contact the Exams Officer, Emily Moss, as early on in your course as possible on 01872 308179 or EMILYMOSS@TRURO-PENWITH.AC.UK.

Childcare funding

If you are eligible for free tuition (see categories above) or your gross annual household income is less than £21,000, you may be entitled to financial support towards childcare while attending your course. Financial assistance for the purchase of materials for certificated courses may also be available. For guidance, contact Student Services on 01872 305711.


A full refund will be made if a class does not start or closes after one session. After a course has started, pro-rata refunds can only be made if you are ill (medical certificate required). All refund requests should be made in writing to the Principal.

Initial materials fee

Where possible the initial materials fee has been shown. These are payable even if you receive free tuition and all students are required to provide their own books and materials. If your household income is below £21,000 the College will be able to make a contribution to the cost of your course materials and/or travel.