Learning Services

We'll do everything we can to make sure that your learning is as easy and enjoyable as possible.

Transition from school

If you are a vulnerable student or have barriers to learning, you will be supported with your transition from school to College. You will be visited at school and offered special induction arrangements to ensure that you are familiar with staff and the environment long before your start date.

Students with Education Health Care Plans (EHCPs) will indicate the College of their choice on their final SEN review paperwork. They will be supported through the College interview process and support plans will be put in place.

Learning Support Assistants

You may have a Learning Support Assistant (LSA) when you start at the College. LSAs offer one-to-one support to ensure that the students they work with have equal access to the curriculum. If you want to know more about LSAs, or think you may require one, then contact Gemma Marshall at gemmam@truro-penwith.ac.uk for Truro, or Kayleigh Wills at kayleighw@truro-penwith.ac.uk for Penwith.

One-to-one maths and English tuition

Our friendly tutors can work with you on a one-to-one, small group and/or workshop basis on literacy, numeracy, revision skills, exam technique, essay writing and much more. Whether you need regular support or just a one-off, we can tailor to your needs through individualised targets and sessions scheduled to suit you. We can also show you how to access resources and software to help you become an independent learner. Contact Roland Bray for Truro at rolandb@truro-penwith.ac.uk or Kayleigh Wills at kayleighw@truro-penwith.ac.uk for Penwith.

Maths and English GCSEs or Functional Skills

We offer GCSE maths and English for students needing to improve their grades. These are taken alongside the main course programme. If you haven't yet achieved a GCSE grade 5 or above in English and/or maths, we'll support you with an additional course as part of your studies. You'll be asked to study either GCSE or Functional Skills, depending on your previous qualifications and an initial assessment. Don't forget our study tutors are available to help you too.

Exam access

If you think you may be entitled to exam access arrangements, you will be interviewed by an exams assessor and the examining boards will be contacted for permission to put the arrangements in place. For more information, please get in touch with either Jennifer Hoare at jenniferh@truro-penwith.ac.uk for Truro, or Caroline Thomas at carolinet@truro-penwith.ac.uk for Penwith.

Students with dyslexia and other Specific Learning Disabilities (SpLDs)

If you have dyslexia or another SpLD, you will be offered support with your studies and introduced to accessible technology such as apps for computers and iPads. 

Learning Services in Mylor (Truro) and the College shop in Zennor (Penwith) houses dyslexia shops where students may purchase specially designed equipment and coloured overlays. Visual stress tests indicate which coloured paper and screen backgrounds are most suitable to the learners. For students who suspect they may have dyslexia, it is possible to have a screening test to determine how at risk they are.

Students on the Autistic Spectrum on mainstream courses

If you have Autism, we will support you with your transition from school to College and throughout your time with us. Our team of Autism Champions is available to offer advice and guidance to help you access your studies and feel at ease in the environment.

For further information or advice relating to special educational needs on mainstream courses contact Gemma Marshall at gemmam@truro-penwith.ac.uk (Truro) or Kayleigh Wills at kayleighw@truro-penwith.ac.uk (Penwith).

Students not accessing mainstream courses can also visit our Foundation Studies page for more information on the support we can provide.

Elected Home Educated

Young people registered with the local authority as Elected Home Educated (EHE) who wish to begin a programme of study at College should contact Gemma Marshall at gemmam@truro-penwith.ac.uk.

English as a second language

Students wishing to study English as a second language may do so at Haven House.