Elementary Construction Occupations
Job holders in this unit group perform a variety of general labouring and construction duties to assist building, civil engineering and related trades workers in the performance of their tasks.view courses
About this Career
New workers start around £15,911.23. Normal pay is £24,377 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £36,508.33.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons in Cornwall, and do<br /> not distinguish between full and part-time jobs.
- Helps diver into and out of diving suit, maintains communication with submerged diver and checks equipment and time spent under water.
- Operates, cleans and lubricates valves and sluices, removes weeds, dead animals and other debris from waterways and carries out minor repairs to banks and footbridges.
- Excavates, constructs and maintains land drainage systems and prepares graves for burial.
- Measures and fixes timber and other structures to support excavations, cables or other rail, signal and telecommunications equipment.
- Heats and breaks up blocks of asphalt, bitumen or tar, stirs melting mixture, adds aggregate if required, pours mixture into buckets.
- Covers ceilings, floors, walls and exposed surfaces of boilers, pipes and plant with insulating material.
- Performs general labouring tasks such as digging trenches and foundations, removing wall coverings, and preparing surfaces by cleaning, sanding, filling, etc..
- Cleans equipment and tools, clears work area and otherwise assists building and woodworking trades workers as directed.
- Mixes mortar, grouting material, cement screed, and plaster, prepares adhesive, primer and paints and similar construction material, and undertakes basic decorating, painting, plumbing and other maintenance and repair tasks.
- Assists with the erection of ladders, scaffolding and work platforms, the rigging of cradles of hoisting equipment and the attaching of slings, hooks and guide ropes.
- Conveys blocks, bricks, stone, mortar, roofing, felt, slates, wood and other building materials to the work area.