Rail Construction and Maintenance Operatives
Rail construction and maintenance operatives lay, re-lay, repair and examine railway track and maintain surrounding areas.view courses
About this Career
New workers start around £24,600.00. Normal pay is £30,168 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £55,942.58.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons in Cornwall, and do<br /> not distinguish between full and part-time jobs.
- Fastens together sections of rail by bolting fishplates to rails.
- Positions lengths of rail, sets of points and crossovers and secures rail with bolts, wooden wedges or clips.
- Spreads ballast and lays sleepers or metal plates at specified intervals.
- Lubricates points, examines fences, drains, culverts and embankments and carries out any necessary maintenance.
- Checks tightness of bolts and wedges, replaces damaged rail chairs and repacks ballast under sleepers if necessary.
- Patrols length of track and visually inspects rails, bolts, fishplates and chairs for distortion or fracture.