Weighers, Graders and Sorters
Jobholders in this unit group weigh, grade and sort materials, goods and products.view courses
About this Career
New workers start around £13,204.43. Normal pay is £20,785 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £32,784.50.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons in Cornwall, and do<br /> not distinguish between full and part-time jobs.
- Operates machines to measure lengths of rolls of material and irregularly shaped materials such as leather or sheepskin.
- Records and calculates gross and net weight, checks delivery notes and prepares documents and labels for identification purposes.
- Uses balances, springs, weighing platforms, automatic scales and weighbridges to check the weight of goods, products and loaded vehicles.
- Ascertains material(s) required from order card, recipe, or specification and weighs and measures prescribed quantities accordingly.
- Assesses product quality visually and by touch, and grades according to weight, thickness, colour and other quality criteria.
- Examines hide, skins, leather, fabric, wool, rags, scrap metal, tobacco pipe bowls, fish, fibres, ceramics, produce and other goods.