Top Course Highlights
Excellent Industry Links
Learn from sector experts
You will be taught by staff with extensive experience who will advance your knowledge and skills to meet the expectations of the hospitality industry.
Develop work-related skills
During your programme you will develop work-related skills and knowledge to fully support you in your job role and prepare you for an exciting career.
Excellent employer support and liaison
We have excellent industry contacts to ensure you have ongoing support and development in your workplace.
What Will I Learn?
Units that you will study:
- The programme involves developing effective knowledge, behaviours and skills in four main areas: culinary, people, business and food safety.
- Health, safety and security of the working environment including food safety and hygiene practices.
- Food waste management and minimisation.
- Professional behaviours – timekeeping, attendance, following company standards, reliability and communication.
- Importance of working within budgets.
- Understanding the supply chain and how to work with suppliers.
- Risks in a work environment and how to manage them.
- Taste – basic flavour profile, seasoning, herbs and spices.
- Correct techniques including common knives, tools and equipment.
- Key allergens.
- Working as part of a team.
- Meeting targets and effectively controlling resources required.
- Contribute to reviewing and refreshing menus in line with business and customer requirements.
- Use available technology in line with business procedures and guidelines to achieve the best result.
- Measure dish ingredients and portion sizes accurately.
- Use correct knives and knife skills when preparing food and use the correct equipment when preparing, cooking and presenting food.
- Store, prepare and cook ingredients correctly to deliver a quality product that is safe for the consumer.
- Develop own skills and knowledge through training and experiences.
- Support team members to produce dishes and menu items on time to quality standards.
- Perform role to the best of own ability in line with the business values and culture.
- Follow instruction to meet targets and effectively control resources.
- Undertake all tasks with due care and attention, reporting risks in the appropriate manner.
- Show enthusiasm for keeping up to date with business and industry trends.
- Use technology and equipment in line with training.
- Pay attention to detail and work consistently to achieve standards.
- Demonstrate care and attention when using knives and equipment.
- Have an appreciation of ingredients.
- Demonstrate high personal hygiene standards.
- Take pride in own role through an enthusiastic and professional approach to tasks.
Where Will It Take Me?
Careers: On completion of Level 2 Commis Chef Apprenticeship, you will be fully trained and able to gain more experience and look to progress to a supervisory job role.
Progression: Level 3 Chef de Partie
You will attend an interview with the Apprenticeship Advisor who will support you to find an Apprenticeship. Once a job has been secured you will have an interview with our Training Advisor to discuss the programme and your experience. Performance and attitude will be taken into account.
End Point Assessment
EPA methods • On demand tests • Practical observation • Culinary Challenge • Professional discussion
Information & Support
The Student Support team can see you on a one to one basis and offer advice and guidance on financial, personal and emotional issues. A professional team of staff work together with your tutor and training advisor to support you, so that you can successfully complete your course and recognise pathways to progression after leaving College.
Awarding Body: City & Guilds
Want to talk to someone?
Do you have a question that we haven't answered so far? Talk to our admissions team. We're here Monday-Friday 8.30am-4.30pm.