Top Course Highlights
National Competition Opportunities
Learn from sector experts
You will be taught by staff with extensive industry experience who will advance your knowledge and skills to meet the expectations of the hairdressing industry.
Enjoy professional surroundings
Our working hairdressing salons all contain the latest industry-standard equipment and resources.
Develop work-related skills
During your programme you will develop personal and employability skills which will help prepare you for full-time work after you have completed the qualification. You will undertake a one day a week work placement in a hairdressing salon throughout your qualification.
What Will I Learn?
Units studied may include:
- Advise and consult with clients
- Blow-dry and style hair
- Colour and Lighten Hair
- Cut Ladies Hair
- Health, Safety & Hygiene
- Client Consultation
- Shampoo, Condition and treat the Hair and Scalp
- Set and Dress Hair
- Style hair with electrical equipment
You will be required to undertake a work placement alongside your course and course timetables will be adapted to incorporate this provision.
You will discover the importance of English and maths skills and the important role they play in your everyday life, from timing services, mixing and measuring chemicals, reading manufacturer’s instructions and so on. You will look at how to adapt your communication techniques to meet a variety of social and cultural needs together with the essential retail techniques required to promote your success as a Hairdresser. This is a qualification that has been specifically designed by professionals in the Hair industry and will ensure you are fully prepared for employment.
Where Will It Take Me?
Opportunities are many and varied for the enterprising hairdresser, from small salons to high fashion large city salons, ocean liners, television, and theatre. Progression to Level 3 Hairdressing would enable you to start your own business or franchise, while higher education courses could qualify you for teaching, training, or assessing posts.
Your achievement in this subject is dependent upon excellent attendance, punctuality and effort. You will learn in a friendly atmosphere, using a variety of assessment methods:
- Externally and internally marked practical assessments
- An externally set and externally marked examination
- An externally set and internally marked graded synoptic assessment
- Discussions and presentations are a vital part of our assessment process and you will be expected to contribute to these
- You will review your own performance in 1:1 sessions with your tutor
- You will undertake mock examinations on each unit in advance of your final exams
- You will be formally examined on each unit that you study to test your practical competence and knowledge of the subject
- Students will have the potential to achieve an overall qualification grade of: Pass, Merit, Distinction, Distinction*
A minimum of three GCSEs at Grade 3 or above which must include a 4 in English or Maths
Information & Support
We encourage all students to read widely and conduct their own research into the ever-changing world of the hairdressing industry. You will be supported in your work throughout your course to enable you to be productive and help you track your progression.
Additional Costs: You will require a kit and uniform
Awarding Body: VTCT
Want to talk to someone?
Do you have a question that we haven't answered so far? Talk to our admissions team. We're here Monday-Friday 8.30am-4.30pm.