Metal Machining Setters and Setter-operators
Job holders in this unit group operate machines to drill, bore, grind, cut, mill or otherwise shape metal workpieces.view courses
About this Career
New workers start around £18,229.60. Normal pay is £27,597 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £42,473.31.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons in Cornwall, and do<br /> not distinguish between full and part-time jobs.
- Instructs operators on the safe and correct method of operation of the machine.
- Repositions workpiece, changes tools and resets machine as necessary during production run.
- Operates automatic or manual controls to feed tool to workpiece or vice versa and checks accuracy of machining.
- Sets machine controls for rotation speeds, depth of cut and stroke, and adjusts machine table, stops and guides.
- Selects and fixes work-holding devices and appropriate cutting, shaping, grinding and/or forming tools.
- Examines drawings and specifications to determine appropriate method, sequence of operations and machine setting.