TOP COURSE HIGHLIGHT
Small Class Sizes
Great Industry Links
Learn From Sector Experts
You will be taught by staff with extensive industry experience who will advance your knowledge and skills to meet the expectations of the hairdressing industry.
Enjoy professional surroundings
Our College salons all contain the latest industry-standard equipment and resources, as well as teaming with high end product companies such as Wella Professional.
All aspects of hairdressing including cutting, styling and colouring in line with current trends as well as business skills such as communication, professionalism, personal presentation, time keeping and customer service which will become a vital part of your trade.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
Throughout the qualification, you will develop an understanding of all relevant industry skills, alongside developing interpersonal skills, to assist you in your effective communication with clients and professionals. This qualification is practical skill focused with embedded knowledge targeted throughout. A variety of teaching methods such as discussions, demonstrations and presentations are used to enhance learning experiences and prepare you for your chosen career path. You will work independently, in pairs or small groups practicing techniques in a realistic working environment to improve skills knowledge and personal confidence, ready for the introduction of clients and professional observations.
WHERE WILL IT TAKE ME?
Completion of this course will open a variety of opportunities including progression on to the Advanced and Creative Hair Professional qualification. Alternatively, you could look to gain employment in a salon or open your own salon, become a stylist for film or television, or work on cruise ships.
Your achievement in this qualification is dependent upon excellent attendance, punctuality and effort. You will study in a friendly atmosphere, using a variety of assessment methods:
- Most assessments are completed through practical observations of skills and techniques. This will be carried out throughout all your units, as you continuously strive towards a competent level within services.
- You will be assessed regularly on written theory work that may be conducted within the class, or as a homework activity and feedback will be continuously provided on your progress and preparation for the mandatory multiple question exams for required units.
- Your performance will be reviewed during 2:1 sessions with your Training advisor and Employer as part of your Apprenticeship reviews.
- Mock examinations will also be undertaken on each unit element throughout your course, preparing you for your final End Point Assessment which will take place towards the end of your programme and be monitored by an independent assessor provided by the awarding body.
All units in the attached qualification are graded Fail/Pass /Distinction in preparation the End Point Assessment:
- Externally set and internally marked, graded practical assessment through observation
- Externally set and marked online examinations
The Final End Point Assessment, graded by an independent assessor provided by the awarding body includes a practical assessment of a full range of commercial skills within an industry setting which must be completed within the agreed commercially viable timings. Targeted oral questioning is used to establish your knowledge and understanding of the services offered and all contributing factors. You will be assessed on your professional approach to your clients and peers, values, behaviours, communication, safe working practices and consultation skills, as well as your technical ability. Your grade (Fail, Pass, Distinction) is then awarded based on the marks given for each element.
Grade 2 GCSE (E) or above in English and Maths.
Information & Support
We encourage you to observe others and practice your skills development as much as possible within the College and your work placement. Utilise these experiences and learning resources provided by the College and your employers to personally target your learning needs. In addition, we expect you to conduct your own research during set home study activities to enhance your understanding of services, products and techniques. We will also offer you opportunities to conduct this research at College with use of our learning resource center. You will be required to attend all College taught session in full uniform, with full kit ready for the delivery of the skills and services needed. Full advice will be given on these before the start of your course.
Attendance of the weekly College taught session is a mandatory requirement for this course and will make up the majority of your 20% off the job training allocation. The further required hours will be part of your in-salon work placement and are to be agreed with your employer.
Awarding Body: VTCT
Want to talk to someone?
Do you have a question that we haven't answered so far? Talk to our admissions team. We're here Monday-Friday 8.30am-4.30pm.