All Unit-E systems are unavailable from 7.30pm on 25 September due to essential maintenance. This includes staff, student and parent advantage, College portal payments and applications. Normal service will be resumed the following morning. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
TOP COURSE HIGHLIGHTS
A supportive teaching environment with excellent mentors
An opportunity to work in colleges that are graded as “outstanding” by Ofsted
Success and employment rate of our graduates is high
Rigorous training delivered by experienced and knowledgeable professionals
You will receive fantastic training in a positive learning environment with experienced tutors.
Key teaching principles and theories applied to practice
You will have the opportunity to put what you learn into practice with the placement alongside the course.
Fantastic Progression Options
You have the option to continue onto Postgraduate studies of education at The University Center at Truro.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
You will learn skills and knowledge that will best prepare you for a successful career in education. Some specific areas that you will cover are:
- Methods of teaching, planning and delivery remote and face to face
- Writing a scheme of work and a lesson plan
- Barriers to learning
- Assessment methodology
- Models of reflective practice
- Pedagogical theories
- Classroom and behaviour management
- Curriculum design and sequencing
- Current issues affecting the world of education such as Education for Sustainable Development, and social justice
- Wider professional development
- Roles and responsibilities of teachers, trainers and tutors in this sector.
- Learning, Teaching and Assessment
- Curriculum and Society
- Investigating Theories of Teaching and Learning
- Wider Professional and Personal Development
WHERE WILL IT TAKE ME?
Following this course, you will have the opportunity to progress onto a Postgraduate Certificate in Education, this will help you to widen your skill set and knowledge and better prepare yourself for a career in Education in many capacities.
Other than this, completing this course can give you the skills necessary to enjoy a career in many different areas, including but not limited to:
- Educational Administrator
- Pastoral Tutor
- Private Tutor
- Work with the educational landscape.
METHODS OF STUDY:
- Assessment: coursework in each module – Reports, essays, reflective writing.
- Assessment: Teaching Portfolio including a reflective journal
- Assessment: Practical observations
- Formative presentations
- A range of teaching methods using all approaches to education.
- Professional enquiry
- Evidence-based practice
- Teaching Practice (minimum 100 hours) over 2 years for PT and 1 year for FT.
- Breadth of practice hours – to aid holistic development within teaching and learning
All applicants must have a Level 2 or equivalent in Maths and English.
Good information and communications technology (ICT) skills.
Level 3 or above in subject specialism for Cert.Ed. applicants
Applicants with overseas qualifications can check their compatibility with the UK equivalent through UK ECCTIS, who provide an advisory service. We welcome applicants with international qualifications. To view other accepted qualifications please refer to our tariff glossary.
If English is not your first language then we’ll need evidence of your proficiency in English with IELTS 7.0 overall with 7.0 in all four elements, or accepted equivalent English qualification as listed on our English language requirements.
Entry onto these programmes is conditional on identifying a suitable placement and mentor. An interview is a prerequisite for entry onto this programme.
Applicants’ subject knowledge should be current and continuing professional development is expected. Applicants will need to commit wholeheartedly to the course and will be expected to complete academic coursework in addition to a full teaching practice which includes planning, delivery assessment and evaluation. The College expects quality teaching and the chance to work at Truro and Penwith College is exceptional.
You’ll be required to complete a satisfactory enhanced DBS (formerly CRB) Enhanced Disclosure, register with the Independent Safeguarding Authority and complete a criminal convictions self-declaration form. Find all of the important documentation you’ll need when applying for this programme.
All appropriately qualified candidates will be given equal consideration during the selection process. The University does not tolerate discrimination on the grounds of gender, ethnicity, colour, disability, religion, nationality, age, sexual orientation or any other irrelevant distinction.
How to Apply
Information & Support
Take your qualifications to the next level – after completing this course you’ll have the option to gain Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) status.
The awarding body for this course is: University of Plymouth.
Want to talk to someone?
Do you have a question that we haven't answered so far? Talk to our admissions team. We're here Monday-Friday 8.30am-4.30pm.